Yoof (sonz of mecha)

Yoof (sonz of mecha)

Sunday 19 June 2011

Yoof Interview in Knowledge mag (Free Mix + V.I.P remix)

Yoof, one half of breaks outfit Sonz Of Mecha, has a solo release coming called King Yoof's International Hi-Fi on Sub Slayers. The EP features five tracks on the increasingly popular future jungle breaks tip. Yoof tells us all about it...
Please introduce yourself...
I'm Yoof from Sonz Of Mecha and I've been writing bass driven music for over a decade and have had releases on labels like Mechanoise, Ghost, Funkatech and Sub slayers to just name a few.
How would you describe your approach to making music?
To me it's all about the vibe and capturing that particular moment.
Tell us more about your forthcoming EP on Sub Slayers... what did you have in mind when you made it?
I wanted to bring back that old skool reggae soundsystem vibe that the original jungle movement had back in the 90s and fuse it with dubstep and breaks. I wanted an EP that would showcase the many different styles that I love.
Talk us through the tracks on it...
Back 2 Hackney - I wanted to pay homage to the original jungle dons from back in the day like Shut Up And Dance, Remarc, DJ Hype, Micky Finn, etc. I wanted to bring back the old skool way of chopping the Amen loop up and then I dug deep into my Soundclash tapes and sampled the classic Saxon v Addie's Bermuda Clash.
Gangland Riddim - This tune makes me want to rob banks! I was watching some documentary on street gangs and I liked the narrator's voice. I get asked a lot on how I made the bass for this but that remains a secret.
I'm On Fire - I wrote this with Jimmy King, the keyboard player from the Dirty Rich. These guys rock and are a new dance act worth looking out for, especially for their live shows. This track takes you on a more deeper, darker, futuristic journey and the bass took a few days to get right.
Murderer - A futuristic jungle breakbeat roller that gets any party going, yet again a tune that pays homage to such a great era.
One Bag Of Fuckery: This tune makes me smile every time I play it; it's a cheeky breakstep number that borders the line of dubstep and breaks. I'm a big soundclash fan, which you can probably tell from hearing the soundsystem rants that I sampled for the tune.


What else have you been working on recently?
I had a release on Ghost Records' 
Nu Levels album and I'm currently working with DJ Raggs who I met through El-B. I just mixed the latest EP for Kid British, a band from Manchester tipped as the new Specials. I also work a lot with Dave Pemberton who engineered and mixed The Prodigy, Groove Armada, etc and have some cool projects in the pipeline and more collaborations on the go.
Got any other releases in the pipeline we should look out for?
I've just finished recording a couple of jungle breaks tunes featuring guest vocals from Kid British and also Rachel Wallace but I'm keeping that under wraps until the time is right. You will probably see a follow-up EP before the end of the year and I've just done a VIP remix of John Connor for Ghost Records.



Grab the full interview + Download the V.I.P remix of "Im on fire".
http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/news/yoof-releases-king-yoofs-international-hi-fi-ep.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment